Wind turbine level applications
- WIND TURBINE OIL RESERVOIR: As wind energy technology advances, higher demands are placed on turbine lubrication systems. Lubricant reservoirs of up to 550 gallons (2,000+ liters) serve as oil storage in centralized systems to provide lubrication for the blade bearings, blade tilt, main bearing, azimuth bearing, meshing gears, generator bearings, cylindrical gears, bevel gears, rolling and sliding bearings, worm gear units, and gear couplings. The oil reservoir is monitored for continuous or point level.
- WIND TURBINE GEARBOX: Gearbox and bearing lubrication are of particular importance due to the complexity of the gearbox and the high mechanical loads. Gearbox and bearing problems are a common cause of downtime; and loss of oil through a small leak has lead to catastrophic wind turbine failures. Along with vibration, temperature, and flow sensors, a low level gearbox oil alarm is a critical safety control.
Water pumping level application
- WATER PUMPING STORAGE: For industrial and agricultural use, a water pumping windmill is typically placed above a well or near a river. Next to the mill a storage tank is placed to provide a buffer supply of water for when the mill is not operational. Ferro-cement and steel tanks are typically used.
Other wind energy applications
- Municipal and Industrial Water Services
- Mechanical Power Mills
- Telecommunications and Radar
- Pipeline Control
- Navigational Aids
- Cathodic Protection
- Weather Stations and Seismic Monitoring
Biofuel is produced from biomass resources to make liquid fuels like ethanol, methanol, and biodiesel, and gaseous fuels such as hydrogen and methane (see Biogas). Biofuels are primarily used to fuel transportation vehicles, but they can...
Biogas from digesters is typically 60–70% methane and 30–40% carbon dioxide. Biogases fuel engine-generators or gas turbines to produce electricity. They also fuel boilers to produce heat or steam. Biogas utilization has increased in...
Geothermal reservoirs located deep underground provide powerful sources of heat energy. Drilling a geothermal well to a reservoir brings hot water and steam to the surface where it can be put to many uses. Geothermal level...
Hydropower is electricity produced from flowing water. Hydropower produces approximately 7% of U.S. energy (19% of world energy) and accounts for 45% of total renewable energy in the U.S. Newer technologies harness energy in ocean tides,...